A.K.A. Cartoon (Canada)
This description is missing images or videos.
A.K.A. Cartoon Inc. was the production company of Canadian animator Danny Antonucci. It was founded on April 1, 1994 and was located in Vancouver, British Columbia. The company's first project, MTV's The Brothers Grunt, was a critical and ratings failure, but the company later gained a success with the creation of Ed, Edd n Eddy, which was a cult hit and Cartoon Network's longest-running original program. The company became dormant since the release of Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show in November 2009, which served as the show's finale. In early 2017, the company came out of its dormancy state when it released a short pilot titled Snotrocket.
1st Logo (August 15, 1994-April 9, 1995)
a.k.a. Cartoon (1994-95)A.K.A. Cartoon A.K.A. Cartoon (Director's Reel Variant)A.K.A. Cartoon
WARNING: To ensure your privacy and security, do NOT contact the addresses listed on the bottom-right logo.
Nicknames: "Guy Impaled By A Pencil", "The Brothers Grunt Logo"
Logo: On a background that looks like wrinkled skin (or a vague face tiled from the top-right to the bottom-left, or fingers over skin), there is a drawing of a naked guy with slightly visible genitalia enclosed in a purple circle, that is impaled by a pencil which went through his head with 2 drops of blood flying out; his whole body is wrapped around it, so he's in excruciating pain (his eyes have crosses and his face looks painful). On the bottom is the caption "An a.k.a.CARTOON inc. Production For MTV Networks". A copyright for MTV Networks appear below.
- On Danny Antonucci's director's reel, the text reads "a.k.a.CARTOON inc." with text saying "danny antonucci director's reel" below.
- At the end of said reel, the studio's contact information is seen below the logo.
- There is a variant that only has "a.k.a. CARTOON inc." below the guy.
- The Brothers Grunt has the end theme of the show.
- The director's reel opening variant and the variant with only "a.k.a. CARTOON inc." have an extended version of the trumpet scream heard in the next logo.
- The director's reel ending variant is silent.
Availability: Extinct. Seen on the infamous The Brothers Grunt, which aired on Music Television (MTV). It hasn't been seen in years, but will probably be intact if ever reran again. Was also recently spotted on Danny Antonucci's director's reel from circa 1995, which can be seen on YouTube. The variant that only has "a.k.a. CARTOON inc." can be seen on a print of Lupo The Butcher that was included in a YouTube video that contains almost all of the company's pre-Ed, Edd n Eddy projects.
Editor's Note: Even though the subject matter of the logo might be too gruesome, it actually fits with the overall theme of the show. It features an intentionally ugly and grotesque design, which fits the show to a T.
2nd Logo (January 4, 1999-November 8, 2009)
a.k.a. Cartoon (1999)a.k.a. Cartoon (2000)Aka Cartoon GreenLeopard Skin AKA CartoonAka Cartoon Inc.AKA Cartoon Inc. ChristmasAKA HeartAKA Cartoon BloodAKA Cartoon Movie
Nicknames: "Guy Impaled By A Pencil II", "The Brothers Grunt Logo II"
Logo: On a white background, we see a black/dark blue drawing of the same guy from the previous logo (though close up and redrawn slightly for it to make an attempt to be friendlier for audiences, including removing the genitalia) contained inside a yellow box. Also, the text "Produced at" is seen above in Helvetica, and underneath the picture is the text "a.k.a. CARTOON" in the same fonts.
Variants: There are different variations of the logo (all listed variants have black backgrounds and an "inc." symbol):
- "Purple Box": The a.k.a. Cartoon logo appears inside a purple box with a white/yellow guy in it. Plus, "inc." is added next to "CARTOON" and the "Produced At" text is in one line. This variant appeared on S2 episodes of Ed, Edd n Eddy.
- "Green Box": We have a drawing of a black/white guy on a green box and "Made by" replaces "Produced at" in a sketchy font. The text reading "A.K.A. CARTOON INC." in a more grungy font this time. This variant appeared on S3 episodes of Ed, Edd n Eddy.
- "Gray Box": The drawing is white on a gray box. Below is the text reading "a.k.a cartoon inc." in a 50's cartoon font and is situated to the right a bit. Plus, "Made at" is replaced by, once again, "PRODUCED AT" in a Copperplate Gothic font. This variant appears on S4 episodes of Ed, Edd n Eddy.
- "Leopard Print": The words "Made at" in a more plain font, is seen above the logo in the place of "Produced at" and below the same picture of a white guy it reads "A.K.A. CARTOON INC.", this time being much blockier. The box is like a leopard print. This variant appears on seasons 5 and 6 episodes of Ed, Edd n Eddy and its special, "The Eds are Coming, the Eds are Coming".
- "Christmas Stripes": The box has red and green stripes and the guy in the box is black. Plus, the text is in the same style as the "Green Box" variant. This variant can be seen on Ed Edd n Eddy's Jingle Jangle Jangle.
- "Black Heart": There is a black heart inside a red box, with a white/black/red drawing of the guy. Plus, the text is once again, in the same style as the "Green Box" variant . This variant can be seen on Ed, Edd n Eddy's Hanky Panky Hullabaloo.
- "Bloody Box": There is a red blood splatter on the logo and the box is red. Also, for the third time, the text is in the same style as the "Green Box" variant. This variant can be seen on Ed, Edd n Eddy's Boo-Haw Haw.
- "Watermelon": The box has a picture of a watermelon styled texture in it, a reference to the Ed, Edd n Eddy character Jonny 2x4 and his superhero alter ego Captain Melonhead. "Made at" is seen above and below the picture of the white guy, in which it appears is "A.K.A. CARTOON INC." in the same style as the "Leopard Print" variant. This variant can be seen on Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show.
Music/Sounds: A trumpet "scream" composed by Patric Caird (composer of the background music for Ed, Edd n Eddy and The Brothers Grunt) against a jazzy drum rift followed by a descending strum, a crash-like sound and a honk, ending with what sounds like an electrical guitar string plinking.
- On Ed, Edd n Eddy specials, an "Uh" sound (presumably from the end of the Ed, Edd n Eddy theme -- "B-b-b-b-bl yeah!") is heard at the beginning.
- On the Ed, Edd n Eddy S4 episode "Is There an Ed in the House"/"An Ed is Born", the logo is silent.
Availability: Appeared on all episodes of Ed, Edd n Eddy. While it's not on Netflix, Cartoon Network, or Boomerang, you can only find it on DVD releases, but only the first 2 seasons of the show have been released so far.
Editor's Note: A well-remembered logo for those that grew up with Ed, Edd n Eddy or Cartoon Network in general, whether fondly remembered or not. It can be noted that although the design team that cleaned up this logo attempted to render the logo as less graphic than the first logo (i.e. the genitalia), it ended up as more graphic due to the more detailed design (especially the pencil going through the guy's head) and closer presence to the screen. This and the rapidly-paced music paired with the logo effectively made it infamous to a number people that watched the show.