Border Television (UK)
NOTE: You can see some of the Border Television idents here.
1st Logo (September 1, 1961-August 31, 1971)
Nickname: "Chopsticks in a Bowl"
Logo: On a black background, we simply see a symbol that looks like a stylized "B" but which also supposedly represents the station's broadcast area (Cumbria and southern Scotland), with the words "Border Television" in Helvetica below.
Variant: At the beginning of some shows, "presents" can be seen below.
Music/Sounds: Usually none, though sometimes there is an announcer reading out official ITA information.
2nd Logo (September 1, 1971-September 1, 1989)
Nickname: "Chopsticks in a Bowl II"
Logo: On a blue background, we simply see the Border symbol and the words "BORDER TELEVISION", again in Helvetica, in a rectangular box with rounded corners.
- Initially, the word "COLOUR" would be present below the box.
- Some versions contain a copyright date or "Produced by Border Television for Channel 4" below.
3rd Logo (September 1, 1989-September 1993)
Nickname: "ITV Generic"
Logo: See ITV.
4th Logo (September 1993-September 1994)
Nickname: "Chopsticks in a Bowl III"
Logo: On a cloudy gray background, the "B" symbol from before (now tinted light blue) unfolds horizontally. The word "BORDER" in Book Antiqua Italic then unfolds in a similar fashion, letter by letter.
FX/SFX: The moving background, the symbol and text unfolding.
Music/Sounds: Same as the 3rd logo, but edited slightly.
Editor's Note: The effects in this logo are pretty dated.
5th Logo (September 1994-1999)
Nicknames: "Chopsticks in a Bowl IV", "CGI Chopsticks in a Bowl"
Logo: The "B" symbol, now in 3D, flies onto the centre of the screen. The "BORDER" text, in the same font as before, zooms into view letter by letter.
Variants: The ident featured several backgrounds during its run:
- 1994-1995: A blue, rocky background.
- 1995-1997: A rippling water background. From this point onwards, the "BORDER" text is rendered in 3D.
- 1997-1999: An abstract blue background with rotating gears.
FX/SFX: The animation of the symbol and the text is CGI. The backgrounds are static, live-action and CGI respectively.
- 1994-1995: Same as the 4th logo.
- 1995-1997: A more soothing rearrangement of the 1992 London Weekend Television logo's music.
- 1995-1999: Same as the 1992 London Weekend Television logo.
- 1997-1999: A formal sounding tune played on a horn.
6th Logo (1999-2002)
- Border Television on TVARK