HBO Downtown Productions
Logo descriptions by James Fabiano, Kris Starring, and Zach Harden Logo captures by Eric S., BenderRoblox, Gilblitz112, and Pygmalion X Editions by V of Doom
HBO Downtown Productions was a production company of HBO that was launched in 1988 to produce comedy specials for the network as well as content for Comedy Central (HBO formerly co-owned both with Viacom International). HBO dissolved it in 2001 (though their last production was aired on February 24, 2002).
1st Logo (November 28, 1989-December 24, 1999)
HBO Downtown Productions (1992)HBO Downtown Productions- bylineless (1997)HBO Downtown Productions (1997) #1HBO Downtown ProductionsHBO Downtown Productions (1997) HBO Downtown Productions (1998)HBO Downtown Productions- superimposed, A (1993)HBO Downtown Productions- superimposed, B (1993)HBO Downtown Productions- superimposed, Comedy Partners copyright variant (1996)
Logo: On a black background is a dressing screen, colored like off-air color bars, each one positioned at an angle. Above the doors are the words "IN ASSOCIATION WITH" and on them, "HBO (in the familiar logo) DOWNTOWN PRODUCTIONS." All the words are in white.
- From 1995 to 1997, the screen's colors changed (yellow is now orange, and blue is now green) and "IN ASSOCIATION WITH" was replaced with "This Has Been A Presentation Of" and a byline was added saying "A Subdivision of Time Warner Entertainment Company, L.P.".
- From 1997 to 1998, the screen's colors changed again (orange is yellow again, green is blue again, and purple is now pink) and the doors are smaller in this variant.
- From 1998 to 1999, the screen reverted to its original colors but kept the presentation text and the byline.
Music/Sounds: None or the end theme of the show.
- It's seen at the end of Comedy Central-era episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher.
- The 1995 variant can be seen on the last Comedy Central season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and seasons one to four of Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist.
- The 1997 variant can be seen on season five of Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist and season 1 episodes of The Chris Rock Show.
- The 1998 variant can be found on the first six episodes of season six of Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist.
Editor's Note: None.
2nd Logo (September 12, 1997-February 24, 2002)
HBO Downtown Productions (1997) #2HBO Downtown Productions (1997) #3HBO Downtown Productions (1999)
Logo: Same as before, but the doors are in CGI and have glitter on them, and the text is in CGI too and the text slowly zooms towards the screen. No bylines or "In association with" texts are on the logo.
- Early versions have it placed on a gray background with a faint spotlight on the logo.
- The logo may or may not have a trademark symbol "™" on the name.
FX/SFX: The text zooming in.
Music/Sounds: The end theme of the show.
Availability: Rare. It's seen on all season six episodes of Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist excluding the first six and on seasons 2-5 of The Chris Rock Show.
Editor's Note: None.