HBO Max Originals
HBO Max is a subscription video-on-demand streaming service owned by WarnerMedia Direct, a subsidiary of WarnerMedia. The service offers the entire HBO catalog of movies and original series as well as additional content from Warner Bros. Pictures, Warner Bros. Television, New Line Cinema, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, DC Entertainment, and other WarnerMedia-owned properties. The service also offers original movies and series known as Max Originals. The service also has third-party rights to content from Studio Ghibli, Crunchyroll, Comedy Central, and the BBC. HBO Max launched on May 27, 2020.
(May 27, 2020-)
Logo: On a purple background, a burst of sparkles form in front of us as the word "max" comes into view. The logo zooms out to the center of the screen as "ORIGINAL" in the Gilroy typeface fades in below. Once the logo finishes zooming, the screen cuts to black.
Trivia: Imaginary Forces (who created this logo and HBO's 2017-present Feature Presentation bumper), says it is a nod to the HBO Original Programming logo.
- Sometimes, the HBO logo appears next to "max". A trademark symbol is also seen next to "max". This is mostly seen on international prints of HBO Max content.
- On The Not Too Late Show with Elmo, the logo fades into the show’s title sequence.
- On international airings of Close Enough, and Raised by Wolves, the logo has more saturation, making it look like it was captured with a phone.
- On Zack Snyder's Justice League, the logo's colors are saturated or black and white, depending on the version, and the entire logo is in 4:3 (as with the rest of the film to fit with director Zack Snyder's original vision).
- One variant has "ORIGINALS" instead of "ORIGINAL". This can be seen here.
- Most of the time, the logo is animated at 24fps. However, on some shows, like The Not Too Late Show with Elmo, the logo is animated at 30fps.
FX/SFX: The burst of sparkles, "max" zooming out from us, and "ORIGINAL" fading in.
Music/Sounds: A "burst" sound when the logo appears, a harmonizing choir in the background, and finally a reverse cymbal sound, composed by Erik Desiderio.
Music/Sounds Variant: The "ORIGINALS" variant has the theme slightly rearranged.
Availability: Common. Seen at the start of HBO Max's original shows and movies. First seen on the first episode of The Not Too Late Show with Elmo.
Editor's Note: The only negative is the mostly usual lack of referencing the HBO brand, which might make it ambiguous for first time viewers of HBO Max programming. However, it is rather neat for a logo in the digital age.