Lionsgate Home Entertainment
Lionsgate Home Entertainment is the home video distribution arm of Lionsgate Films. At first most of their releases were only released by them in Canada, while in the United States, they licensed their films to Universal Pictures Home Entertainment for home video distribution, with the exception of Dogma being released by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.
1st Logo (1999-2004)
Nickname: "The Constellation"
Logo: Same as its film counterpart from 1998, but "HOME ENTERTAINMENT" is added below the line.
FX/SFX: Same as its film counterpart.
Music/Sounds: Same as its film counterpart. On some Canadian releases from that time period such as the VHS releases of Stickin' Around: Volume 2 and Volume 3, it uses the music from the Avalanche Home Entertainment logo.
Availability: Uncommon. Appears on mainly Canadian DVD releases (and later US releases) of Lionsgate material (This does appear on VHS releases too) such as Strictly Ballroom, Breakin' the Law, and the first two seasons of The Dead Zone. Makes a strange appearance on the 2001 Platinum Disc DVDs of American Eagle and Merchants of War.
- It also appears on DIC Home Entertainment DVD releases that were distributed by the company (The VHS versions use the next two logos).
2nd Logo (2001-2004?)
Nickname: "The Constellation II"
Logo: Same as the 1997 movie logo, except "FILMS" is replaced by "HOME ENTERTAINMENT" and "PRESENTS" is replaced by "A LIONS GATE ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY". Another difference is that all the text fades in at the same time.
FX/SFX: Same as the 1997 movie logo.
Music/Sounds: Same as the first logo.
Availability: Extremely rare.
- Only known to appear on the 2 Sabrina: The Animated Series VHS releases - Sabrina in Love and Salem's World (the Sabrina's World DVD uses the previous logo) as well as Mummies Alive! (The DVD version also uses the previous logo) which both came out on the same day.
- It also appeared on the 2004 DVD releases of the horror movie Cement and Quicksand (even though the packaging for that release has Artisan Entertainment logos).
- It also appears after the DVD menu on the 2001 DVD of Bruiser (the previous logo appears before the menu).
3rd Logo (2001-2006)
Logo: On a black background, the words "LIONS GATE HOME ENTERTAINMENT" fly in one by one away from the viewer, with stars moving into place while a lion fades in. After that the byline "A LIONS GATE ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY" fades in below and the logo shines.
FX/SFX: Words and stars moving into place, fading, and shining.
- A widescreen version exists. This can be seen on some DVD releases.
- An in-credit still version was seen on Care Bears: Big Wish Movie with white text.
Music/Sounds: Several loud whooshes, as well as sparkles and a warbling synth track. Sometimes, it's silent.
- Appears on many LGHE VHS and DVD releases from the era, such as the first two Saw movies, Hail Caesar, the first two seasons of ALF, the Ultimate Editions of the first three Rambo movies, the Special Editions of Air America, Highlander 2, Stir of Echoes, Universal Soldier and Red Heat, Lil' Pimp, Beyond the Sea, Deeply, The Weight of Water, Bully, State Property, Monster's Ball, Confidence, Cube 2: Hypercube, American Psycho II: All American Girl, The Aristocrats, The Devil's Rejects, Dude, Where's the Party?, The Cooler, The Cookout, The Wash, Lord of War, Open Water, Love Object, The Toolbox Murders, Madea's Class Reunion, Red Siren, Frailty, Ultimate Avengers, Grizzly Man, Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper, Saturday Night Live: The Best of Will Ferrell, Beverly Hills 90210: The Pilot Episode, 10.5, Category 6: Day of Destruction, Wooly Boys, Dracula 3000, Martin, Gargoyle: Wings of Darkness, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, 100 Women, 5ive Days to Midnight, Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars, Waiting, Crash (2005), Cabin Fever (2003), the first four seasons of Will & Grace, the third season of The Dead Zone, all five seasons of Saved by the Bell, Dragons: Fire & Ice, Popeye's Voyage: The Quest for Pappy, The Punisher, Girl with a Pearl Earring, Godsend, Arthur Hailey's Detective, Eulogy, Knots, Stanley the Ugly Duckling, Elvis has Left the Building, the 2004 DVDs of Late Night with Conan O'Brien and several volumes of the 1980s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series.
- DIC Entertainment VHS releases from 2001-2002 also use this logo, with DVD versions using the 1st logo.
- Makes a surprise appearance on the Jakks Pacific one-episode disc of the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Hall Monitor" if you look up the disc's files.
- It doesn't appear on the 2004 DVD of Force of Evil, as that uses the Artisan Entertainment logo instead.
Editor's Note: It's a little bit odd how this logo was used until a year after Lionsgate changed their logo, but it's still a good logo nonetheless.
4th Logo (2004)
Nickname: "The Constellation IV"
Logo: A still version of the previous logo is shown, with the text in a slightly different font, and the constellation and byline are in green.
Music/Sounds: The end theme to the movie.
Availability: Only appears at the end of Care Bears: Journey to Joke-a-Lot. ironically enough, it doesn't appear at the end of the North American DVD release.
Editor's Note: None.
Final Note: Since Lionsgate changed their logo in 2005, they have since used their standard logo as a de-facto home video logo.