New World/Genesis Distribution
This description is missing images or videos.
New World/Genesis Distribution was initially known as "Genesis Entertainment", a syndication company founded by Gary Gannaway in 1982. The company introduced the concept of barter syndication, which is still in use today. On May 21, 1993, Ronald O. Perelman, owner of New World Communications, acquired 50% of Genesis from Gannaway, and the remaining stock in 1994, reincorporating it as its then-new name. On January 22, 1997, News Corporation acquired New World Communications, and folded New World/Genesis into 20th Television.
1st Logo (1986-1989)
Nickname: "The Cloudburst”
Logo: On a cloudy sky background, we see a shady blue card with a logo on it zooming out rapidly. The logo is a teal abstract segmented cloud with a sunburst popping out of its top. Below the sunburst on the cloud is the text “GENESIS ENTERTAINMENT” in a white old-fashioned serif font. The logo shines.
- There was an earlier variant which showed the logo flipping toward us on a light cornflower blue/black gradient background. There are four “still” sparkles and a “pop-up” shadow effect surrounding it. Also, the cloud is given a more sapphire color and the body of the sunburst is white. The cloud sometimes lacks segmenting lines.
- A variant with the byline "A DIVISION OF GANNAWAY ENTERPRISES, INCORPORATED" in dark blue was used until 1988. The font of the logo can sometimes vary in shape and size.
FX/SFX: The zooming and shining.
Music/Sounds: The end theme of the show or none.
Availability: Extremely rare.
- This can be seen on a few episodes of Highway to Heaven on INSP and Retro TV, as well as on Amazon Prime and Netflix but not on Up where it also airs.
- The flipping variant appeared on S1 episodes of The Judge.
Editor's Note: The graphics may be a bit tacky, but it does the job well enough.
2nd Logo (1989-1995)
Nicknames: "G of Doom", "G in Space”, “G from Hell”, "Cheesy CGI G", "Ice G", "Moving Block Of Ice G", "The Genesis G"
Logo: On a space background, we see legions of shooting stars. From the right, a giant “G” (looking as if carved from a block of ice) zooms out, turning at an angle towards the screen. As shooting stars fly by the “G”, it sparkles, and turns into a TV-tube ice shape with the “G” appearing as a cutout with small streaks flying from the left. Below the “G” tube, a bunch of sparkles form the words:
- The 1992 game show Infatuation shows this logo with a Genesis Entertainment Group copyright stamp.
- When Genesis Entertainment merged with New World Entertainment in 1994, the byline "A NEW WORLD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY" was seen below the logo. This variant appeared on 1994-1995 episodes of Real Stories of the Highway Patrol and the shows that comprised the Marvel Action Hour (Iron Man and Fantastic Four).
- A sped-up version exists.
FX/SFX: The shooting stars, the sparkle effects, and the zooming “G”.
- 1989-1995: Starts with skittering effects as the starts shoot by, leading into a droning, atonal synth track that adds an ominous bass note when the "G" comes in. "GENESIS" shines in with a strange, distorted bell-like effect.
- 1991-1995: A series of laser-shooting sounds, then an ascending THX-like synth note that leads up to a calm synth note and a shimmering sound when "GENESIS" shines in. This jingle fits the logo much better and less scary than its predecessor.
- Some series would use the end-title theme from any show.
Availability: Very rare.
- It was last seen on Real Stories of the Highway Patrol on H&I and syndicated prints of Tales from the Crypt on Chiller, both of which have gone defunct. May be preserved on VHS tapes of the former series.
- It was also seen on the Iron Man episode "The Origin of Iron Man" when Disney XD last aired it.
Editor's Note: This features some rather primitive CGI effects for the '90s, though its most notorious aspect was the 1989 theme, which has frightened quite a number of viewers.
3rd Logo (1995-1997)
Nicknames: “CGI Sphere”, “New World/Genesis Distribution”, "New World Comet"
Logo: It's basically the same as the 1995 New World Entertainment logo, except the text below reads “NEW WORLD/GENESIS DISTRIBUTION”. Occasionally, only the "explosion" is shown.
Variant: This is seen on Access Hollywood episodes of the era; on a background filled with spotlights, the still logo is placed to the left with the KNBC logo on the right. A copyright stamp can be seen below the two logos.
FX/SFX: Same as the 1995 New World Entertainment logo.
Music/Sounds: Same as the 1995 New World Entertainment logo.
Availability: Very rare. This was last seen on Tales from the Crypt on Chiller, like the previous logo.
Editor's Note: Same as the 1995 New World Entertainment logo.