Logo description by Shadeed A. Kelly Logo captures by Shadeed A. Kelly and EnormousRat
Overture Films was founded in fall 2006 under Starz, LLC, by industry veterans Chris McGurk (CEO) and Danny Rosett (COO). Due to poor performance at the box office, Overture Films was shut down in 2010. Film distribution operations and part of the team were acquired by Relativity Media, and the film catalog is owned by Lionsgate (through its acquisition of Starz in 2016).
(January 18, 2008-October 8, 2010)
Nickname: "The Paintstroke Arch"
Logo: On a black background, we see an arched teal paintstroke wiping in where we see "OVERTURE" in Trajan Pro font being shined over. As the paintbrush finishes drawing, "OVERTURE" appears and changes color from teal to white. We later see the word "FILMS" fading in below in the same font but smaller as the arch turns solid blue. The byline "a starz company" appears below, with "starz" being the 2008 Starz logo.
- Closing variant: At the end of every movie, the phrase "DISTRIBUTED BY" is seen above the logo.
- A prototype version exists where "FILMS" is smaller, and the Starz byline is in its 2006 font.
- In 2009, the logo was slightly redesigned. The arc is now more elaborate, the letters have relief, and the Starz byline is gone.
- On the video game Righteous Kill, the logo is still on white background. In the sequel for said game, the logo was black & white with new design.
- A trailer for the 2009 film Pandorum has the logo placed over an eye.
- On recent prints of their films, the Starz byline is changed to the 2016 Starz logo.
FX/SFX: The paintstroke wiping in. This logo was done by DevaStudios.
Music/Sounds: A soft orchestral theme played by a piano, a violin, and a bass.
Availability: Uncommon. Seen on Overture movies like Mad Money, The Visitor, Righteous Kill, Henry Poole is Here, and Traitor, among other releases. Also seen on games based on the Righteous Kill franchise.
Editor's Note: None. This is a great logo.