Sony Pictures Television International
Sony Pictures Television International was the international television distribution arm of Sony Pictures Entertainment, renamed from Columbia TriStar International Television on September 16, 2002. On April 1, 2009, SPT, SPTI, Embassy Row, Starling, and the other SPT companies were combined under one roof under the "SPT" brand, so SPTI currently runs as in-name-only.
1st Logo (2002-2003)
Nicknames: “Shining Bars”, "SPE Bars", "The Sony Parallelogram" , "Lightbeam in Parallelogram", "Lightbeam in Striped Parallelogram", "The Carmen Logo", "Corporate Bars"
Logo: This is the same logo from Sony Pictures Television. However, everything has been shifted up a little to accommodate for the word “INTERNATIONAL” under the word “TELEVISION” way under the Sony Pictures logo and the line. There are 11 bars. The words stacked features:
with Sony Pictures Entertainment's logo at the top.
Variant: On the Turkish version of Married... with Children (entitled Evli ve Çocuklu), the long version of this is used.
FX/SFX: Same as the Sony Pictures Television logo with the word: “INTERNATIONAL” under the word “TELEVISION”.
Music/Sounds: Same as the standard Sony Pictures Television logo.
Availability: Extremely rare. It was first shown on the early 1st season episodes of Men in Black: The Series on Nickelodeon's short-lived action program SLAM! in 2002 in America and Fox Kids UK airings of The Real Ghostbusters, but now has been replaced by the standard Sony logo. For others, it’s shown worldwide.
Editor's Note: By and large, it's the same logo as its domestic counterpart, and so it wouldn't fare well amongst the logo community.
2nd Logo (In-credit logo) (2002- )
Nicknames: "The Shining Bars Print logo", "SPE Bars II", "Sony Bars II", "Print SPE Bars", "Print Sony Bars", "SPE Multi-lined Tilted Parallelogram II", "The Sony Parallelogram II", "Print Lightbeam in Parallelogram", "Print Lightbeam in Striped Parallelogram"
Logo: Just an in-credit logo saying "Produced by", "Produced by [name of the company] and", or "Produced in association with", and then the Sony Pictures Television International logo, albeit in the white rectangle. Other series have only the SPTI in-credit logo, depending on the country and its native language.
FX/SFX: None or the scrolling of the credits.
Music/Sounds: The ending theme from any show.
Availability: Rare outside the U.S. Still retained on international adaptations of classic Sony shows, such as The Nanny, Mad About You, Married with Children, and I Dream of Jeannie. Also seen on Los Simuladores (translated as Simulators). Other shows would carry this like Dragons' Den on last seen on the now-defunct Fox Reality Channel. This logo can be seen scrolling in the end credits of Les Z'amours (the French version of The Newlywed Game).
Editor's Note: None.
3rd Logo (2nd official logo) (July 2003-Late 2009)
Nicknames: “Swirling Bars”, “Filmstrip Bars”, "Sony Cylinder", "SPE Bars III", "Sony Bars III", "Swirling SPE Bars", "Swirling Sony Bars", "The Sony Parallelogram III", "Lightbeam in Parallelogram II", "Lightbeam in Striped Parallelogram II", "From Cylinder to Parallelogram", "Swirling Helix"
Logo: On a black background, we have a striped cylinder swirling and zooming back at the same time in 3-D. At the bottom of the swirling bars has the name "SONY PICTURES TELEVISION INTERNATIONAL" zooming-in slowly from the shadows. At the end, the cylinder turns into the Sony Pictures logo. There is a blue (sometimes purple) spotlight that is spinning at the bottom and shining on the logo that is also following the animation of the Sony Pictures logo until it stops.
Variant: In 2005, a widescreen version was introduced. Like the SPT logo, a compressed version of this can also be seen on 4:3 prints.
FX/SFX: The bars swirling and moving back, the names zooming in, and the spotlight spinning. This is clean animation that holds up well today.
Music/Sounds: An ascending, zoom/guitar-like synthesizer effect. It's mostly consisting of samples from Spectrasonics' Distorted Reality 1 sample CD.
- From 2006, a longer version of the SPTI theme was introduced.
- There are two short music versions of this logo. The first is the 2nd half of the logo, and the other is an edited version that cuts off at the end with the sound of an echo.
- Reruns of Astro Boy, several 2002-2004 episodes by Jackie Chan Adventures, an episode of Bewitched, international airings of The Boondocks, several episodes on the S3 DVD of Married... With Children and the season finale of Dawson's Creek on the R2 DVD release have this logo with the SPT theme.
- On one episode of The Nanny on Australian channel Fox Hits (now Fox Comedy), it used the 1993 TriStar Television theme. The same thing would happens on Encore airings of the TV movie Home Invasion (7Mate airings in Australia have the SPT logo with the normal SPT music instead and the credits cut off, a common thing sometimes done by the channel and its sister stations for unknown reasons).
- A high tone variant was introduced.
- Some international prints of Starsky and Hutch episodes have a PAL pitched 1993 CPT theme.
- On the French airing of Young Americans, the Columbia TriStar Television theme is heard.
- A French dub of Parker Lewis Can't Lose has the 1988 CPT theme.
- Otherwise, it would be silent or have the closing theme of any TV shows/movies.
Music/Sounds Trivia: The sample used is "Rise Up!" off Spectrasonics' Distorted Reality 1 sample library. At one point in The Fairly OddParents episode "Crash Nebula", you may hear this very sample.
Availability: Fairly common.
- This logo is retained on season 5 of Good Times on TV One and international airings of Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye.
- It was last seen on Dawson's Creek on The N (now TeenNick), and early Designing Women episodes last seen on TV Land.
- This logo was also seen across the globe and some Sony films sometimes seen on the Starz/Encore networks, European networks and several The Three Stooges 5-minute minisode (courtesy of The Minisode Network) shorts on IFC. However, recent international prints has the standard SPT logo, replacing this and the in-credit ones.
- It can be found on Shout! Factory's release of season 4 of Barney Miller, replacing the Four D Productions logo on all but two episodes from that season.
- Surprisingly, this appears on TBS' prints of Saving Silverman and The Sweetest Thing, a Sony Movie Channel broadcast of Kings of South Beach (replacing the SPT logo), a TCM airing of Operation Bikini, a ThisTV airing of The Great Escape, a We airing of Ghost World, and old AMC airings of Mary Reilly (as well as a We broadcast), Original Sin, and A View to a Kill.
- Also, this, along with the standard SPT logo, appears at the end of Hits TV Asia airings of The Nanny, both PAL pitched. Season 6 episodes have the SPTI logo normal pitched with the SPT logo remaining PAL pitched.
- It can be also seen on a handful episodes of Family Law last seen on Start TV.
- It was also spotted on certain prints of the Stuart Little animated show.
- The logo can still be seen on some Sony-owned movies and shows via The Roku Channel or Crackle.
- Also seen on old FX airings of Daddy Day Care and Are We There Yet?.
- It also shows up on the live-action version of The Tick on the Mill Creek DVD release.
- This logo was used to plaster the TriStar Television logo at the end of Australian reruns of The Nanny.
Editor's Note: Compared to the other SPT logos, this is less hated than its domestic counterpart, thanks to its cool animation and music.