This page is missing images or videos.
Starz Originals is the production arm for the Starz Network for producing original series formed in 2006.
1st Logo (April 18, 2007-May 22, 2009)
Nickname: "The Starz Star", "Starz Drawing"
FX/SFX: TBA. This logo was complied by Landor Associates of San Francisco, California. Read more here.
Availability: Seen on the first seasons of Crash: The Series, Head Case, and Party Down on Starz and Starz Edge.
Editor's Note: TBA.
2nd Logo (July 9, 2008-February 25, 2011)
Starz Originals: 2008-ws (Open)Starz Originals
Nickname: "Shine", "Starz Focus"
- Opening Variant: On a bronze background, four frame lines, mimicking the style of a camera shot, expand quickly. A blurred close up shot of the Starz logo appears, with "ORIGINALS" below it. The blur disappears quickly and the logo focuses. A little lens blur appears. The camera frame expands and shrinks back to its normal size. We see a close up shot of the text "FEATURE", stacked on top of "PRESENTATION". The text focuses. The background shows a blurred panning transition of the text. The frame and the text fully expand out of view. On the same background, this time with the effect of a strip of film flickering, the given rating for a specified program appears. It is arranged like this: Below the text "THE FOLLOWING IS RATED", is the program's given rating, for example "TV-MA". If the program has Dolby audio encoding, the then-current Dolby logo is shown present inside a black border, with the text "DOLBY DIGITAL" next to the border. If the program contains closed captions, the respective symbol representing closed captioning is shown inside another black border, below the other one, with the text "CLOSED CAPTIONED" next to the border. A flash appears, erasing everything but the background. If the program has a TV-PG, TV-14, or TV-MA rating, a black border(s) (ranging from 1-4 depending on the given rating info) appears on the right-hand corner of the screen.
- Closing Variant: The focus from the opening variant is shown. In it, an even larger close up of the Starz logo is shown as it sways around the screen like a camera pan. The screen then flashes and "ORIGINALS" appears. The text pans. The screen flashes again, and the logo zooms out in its fully formed position. The background flickers and the logo gives out a lens flare. The screen flashes one final time and the logo disappears.
FX/SFX: The focus, the text, the flashing, the zooming, the panning, the flares. This logo was complied by Troika Design Group of Hollywood, California (you can see the full showcase here). They also complied the 3rd and 5th logos.
Music/Sounds: An organ-synth theme.
Availability: Seen on Crash: The Series, Martin Lawrence Presents: First Amendment Stand-up, Head Case, Party Down, Spartacus, and Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
Editor's Note: TBA.
3rd Logo (February 25, 2011-August 9, 2013)
Nickname: "The Next Big Thing", "Starz Focus II"
Logo: We start on a sparkling orange star-hole (between the "a" and "r") in the "starz" logo, which reveals itself and zooms out in a bright space. There is an orange torrent below. Four brackets surround the logo and "ORIGINALS" expand below it. The torrent below shines.
FX/SFX: The logo unveiling itself and zooming out. This logo was complied by Troika Design Group of Hollywood, California (you can read more about the rebranding here). They also complied the 2nd and 5th logos.
Music/Sounds: An original fanfare with four beats at the end.
Availability: Seen on Spartacus Vengeance, Camelot and Magic City.
Editor's Note: TBA.
4th Logo (2013-2016)
Note: A higher quality version of the logo (audio-only) can be found here.
Nickname: "Taking You Places", "Starz Focus III"
Logo: On a black background, a satin-silk smoke trail rises up. The Starz Originals logo from the previous logos forms beside the smoke trail.
FX/SFX: CGI animation. This logo was complied by yU+co of Hollywood, California. You can read more about the rebranding here.
Music/Sounds: A bouncy synth with a nice piano ditty.
Availability: Seen on shows from the era on DVD and Blu-ray. Don't expect this to pop up on Outlander, Power, or Ash vs. Evil Dead episodes from the 2015-2016 season, as they have been plastered by the next logo below.
Editor's Note: None.
5th Logo (April 5, 2016-)
Nicknames: "Obsessable", "The Black Room", "Bland Starz", "Boring Starz", "Where's The Star?", "Hypocritacalz"
- Pre-show Variant: On a monochromatic background with beige lighting and frosted glass flooring, a video shot of the show about to play (lasts one second) appears as it zooms out to reveal another shot, and again to reveal one more shot. Then on a similar background with a different focus and dust residue from the lighting flying over the screen, the shot zooms out to reveal the show's name (in Museo Sans) in all caps (for example: "OUTLANDER"). Below it we see "STARTS NOW". A viewer discretion warning fades in, bearing a resemblance to the 2nd logo but with a few differences. First, the background. Second, the font. Third, the warning borders are replaced with flat lines and have been moved to the beginning. And finally, all program specifications have been moved to the bottom center of the screen. This variant also doesn't mention Starz whatsoever.
- Opening Variant: On a black background, a flash reveals the Starz logo. Next to it, "ORIGINALS PRESENTS" fades in.
- Closing Variant: In the same setting as the pre-show variant, a light reveals the text "STARZ ORIGINALS", which zooms out. The light dies down but remains on the flooring.
- Starz has compiled their own brandbook with more info about their rebranding. Read it here.
- The animation was complied by Troika Design Group of Hollywood, California, of which were also responsible for the 2nd and 3rd logos. You can read more about the rebranding (and see the full showcase) here.
- Pre-show Variant: The show's clips zooming out, the text following, the transition to the viewer discretion warning.
- Opening Variant: The flash, the text fading in.
- Closing Variant: The flash, the text zooming out.
- Pre-show Variant: A piano tune with percussion and bass notes that sounds similar to the current WMHT logo music.
- Opening Variant: None.
- Closing Variant: Same as the pre-show variant, except a whoosh has been added to the beginning of the logo, and the tune has been shortened to 3 piano notes.
Availability: Seen on post-2016 episodes of Starz Original series, including Outlander, Power, and Ash vs Evil Dead.
Editor's Note: This logo, as well as the rest of Starz and Encore's post-2016 branding, has received criticism due being considered bland in terms of design and music compared to its predecessors.